|This was my original Amazon Sword Plant that we got given at the beginning of our assignment.|
As you can see the new leaf was doing OK, but that was all. This is the plant after removing it from the tank .
I first took Blue out the tank and left him to swim around in a little glass (I try do my water changes reasonably fast). After taking out the plant I added a bit of fresh water and rubbed down the insides of the tank. I did this leaving the pebbles and sand substrate in the jar. I then rinsed the jar completely clean by adding fresh water to the top of the jar and pouring all the mucky water out. I repeated this procedure at least 4 to 5 times until the water was reasonably clear when I filled the jar. I poured most of the water out, leaving just enough to cover all the sand substrate and pebbles. I added the new little plant making sure to completely cover all the roots. This plant is a different species from the Amazon Sword Plant. It has many little leaves on each stalk. I counted 4 stalks and 43 leaves on all stalks in total!
The pet shop didn't know the name of the plant. I just researched it and it's either a Cherry Hedge (Amaranthaceae) or Asteraceae (Gymnocoronis). This is a bit disappointing because if it's the Cherry Hedge, it's sold as an aquatic plant but I read that it's actually a terrestrial plant and, if lucky, will only live about 4 months underwater!! So I'm probably going to have problems again. Hopefully its the Asteraceae, then I shouldn't have problems, but I'm sure I'll see soon enough which plant it actually is. For now, which ever plant it is, it looks good underwater :)
Carrying on with the water change process...
I rinsed the Zeolites and the cloth and halved the amount in the cloth bag. The stones went darker when I wet them, but the half that I took out went back to their normal colour when they dried. I put the cloth bag with the Zeolites in it in the tank together with the plant.
After all this I refilled the tank to the top with water and added the dechlorinating drops (water conditioner). I stirred the water until the whole tank was evenly tinted blue and added Blue back into his tank with the new environment. It took him a bit of time to get used to all the new things in his tank, especially because his tank was so empty for a while, but now he likes to swim in the new plant.
|The rinsed wet Zeolites after I halved the stones. The ones on the plate I have dried and will use them to see the colour difference in 3 weeks time.|
|And this is the tank just after I added Blue. Here he is still busy exploring his new environment.|